The formation of Kuznetsk land - Kuzbass - is directly related to the history of coal industry development in the region, within the following chronological framework:
- 1618: erection of Kuznetsk Ostrog.
- 1721: discovery of coal at Krasnaya Gorka.
- 1912: establishment of the Franco-German-Belgian joint-stock company "Kopikuz" (Kuznetsk coal mines).
- 1921: establishment of the Autonomous Industrial Colony (AIC) "Kuzbass"
- 1940s: execution of the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR "On the establishment of Kemerovo Region". During World War II the region became the industrial bastion with 52 mines.
- Post-war years: Reconstruction of cities and villages, mining of the first coal at new sites, construction of new facilities, modernization and development of socio-economic policy.
Share of Kuzbass in the total Russian production
of valuable coking coal grades
of coal total
Today Kuzbass produces about 60% of Russian coal and over 80% of the most valuable coking grades.
Coal of 'Ж', 'К', 'Г', 'Д', 'СС', 'Т', 'ОК', 'КС' and 'ГЖО' grades is mined in Kuzbass
Due to Kuzbass coal mining, Russia is the third largest coal exporter in the world after Australia and Indonesia.
The largest industrial centers in the region
- Novokuznetsk District
- Kemerovo District
- Prokopyevsk District
- Belovo District
Current situation and future of the industry
The future of the coal industry in Kuzbass depends on the development of the Russian coal industry, which is stipulated by the Program aimed at creating conditions for the Russian coal companies for stable supply of coal and coal-derived products to the domestic market, and at strengthening their position in the global coal market.
The current difficulty is the overflow of European markets and a significant decrease in coal prices in European countries, caused by the inability to ship products in the eastern direction in the required volumes due to the limitations of the infrastructure of the railway network of Russian Railways
Today Kuzbass coal companies are forced to maneuver supplies in the directions: east / west / south; it is export of raw materials to the east that can support the coal industry of the region. To ensure stable operation of the coal industry and the balance of freight rail transportation, the Government of Kuzbass and Russian Railways signed an agreement to extend the major parameters for exporting products of coal enterprises to the Far East in 2021. It will allow keeping the 2020 volumes this year: at least 53 million tons of coal for export and up to 3.55 million tons for domestic consumers.
Despite the difficulties in the industry, Kuzbass coal retains its position as an energy resource in demand. In the world markets, Kuzbass coal has long been known as a high-quality, competitively priced fuel with reliable supplies to partners in over 60 countries.
According to forecasts, the coal resources of Kuznetsk Basin are estimated at 302.61 billion tons. Balance reserves amount to 68.4 billion tons. 21.9 billion tons (32%) has been contracted for subsoil use. Of these, 20.9 billion tons belong to categories A+B+C1: 11.1 billion tons of coking coal, 9.8 billion tons of thermal coal.
By 2025, it is planned to commission 3 mines, 5 open pits and 10 processing plants.
The past, present and future of Kuzbass and the coal industry are integrated. Today, 2/3 of the region's population is directly related to the coal industry - they are miners and workers in related industries or their families.
Events within the celebration of the 300th anniversary of Kuzbass
A part of celebration the 300th anniversary of Kuzbass, a number of celebrations are planned in the region's coal mining industry, dedicated to events that are significant both for the industry and for Kuzbass residents. Among them:
- Commissioning of the "7 Noyabrya-Novaya" mine in Leninsk-Kuznetsky ("SUEK-Kuzbass" JSC). Design capacity: 4.8 million tons of coal per year. Number of new jobs: 700
- Launch of the processing plant at the "Shakhta No. 12" mine in Kiselevsk.("Stroyservis" JSC) Design capacity: 4 million tons of coal. Number of new jobs: 400
- Commissioning of the "Chernokaltansky" open pit ("SUPK" JSC) and the "Kuznetskiy Yuzhny" open pit
- The Square of Victory and Courage is being built in Kiselevsk at the expense of the "Stroyservis" company.
- A multifunctional sports complex “Gornyak” for 516 people was built in Leninsk-Kuznetsky at the expense of "SUEK-Kuzbass" JSC
- "Kuzbassrazrezugol" Coal Company plans to produce the "jubilee" ton of coal (2.5 billion tons has been produced since 1964)