and metallurgical industry
The history of the Kuzbass metallurgy is closely connected with the development of coal deposits, metal ore deposits and the evacuation of enterprises during the Great Patriotic War.
- 1816: launch of the Guryevsk Metallurgical Plant
- 1932: launch of the Kuznetsk Metallurgical Plant (KMK)
- 1942: launch of the Kuznetsk Ferroalloys Plant
- 1943: launch of the Novokuznetsk Aluminum Plant
- 1964: launch of the West Siberian Metallurgical Plant (ZSMK)
Traditionally, three types of activity are distinguished: metallurgical production, production of finished metal products (except for machinery and equipment), and mining of metal ores.
Main types of products:
- Rolled metal (for construction and rails)
- Primary aluminum and its alloys
The metallurgy of Kuzbass accounts for every tenth ton of steel and rolled ferrous metals, more than 50% of ferrosilicons, more than 60% of rail profiles for railways and 100% of rails for tramways.
Share in the manufacturing industry
The city of Novokuznetsk is the largest metallurgical center of the country and the region. The main metallurgical enterprises of the region are concentrated in the city: "EVRAZ ZSMK" JSC, "Kuznetsk Ferroalloys" JSC and "RUSAL Novokuznetsk" JSC.
Today, the Kuzbass metallurgy enterprises operate stably, despite the global crisis and the coronavirus pandemic. The main trends in the development of metallurgy are the expansion of the domestic metal products market, the development of new foreign markets, the reduction of the ecosystem load, the introduction of new technologies and equipment, as well as the development of innovative types of products.